Alumni Interview: Nick Lease

Recent School of Theatre and Dance graduate Nicholas Lease was selected as set designer for the main stage performances of If/Then. Nick graduated with a BFA in Theatre Arts in December of 2018 with concentrations in Theatre for Youth and Design & Production. The set design for If/Then served as his final capstone project for ECU.

Nick designed the sets for four Storybook Theatre productions (The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, The Just So Stories, The Wind in the Willows, and Really Rosie) while he was a student.

We recently interviewed Nick about his experience working on If/Then.

How did you design the set for If/Then? What was your inspiration?

“My inspiration for If/Then began with looking at drawings by M.C. Escher. Something that I learned in the Scenic Design classes, is that as a designer, after reading the script for a production, you want to identify the moods, themes, and motifs that are present in the piece of work. From there, you find images that you feel evoke those moods that you want the audience to ultimately take away from the production. Whether it be paintings, color splotches, or random objects that you find striking, these are the things that act as a starting point, or “initial concept” for your design.

With If/Then, some major elements I’ve taken away from it’s story are the uncertainty of the “what if’s?” in life, the connections we make between the people and places around us, and choices vs. fate vs. chance. Escher’s drawings were a great starting point for this, particularly his drawings “Relativity” and “Night and Day.”  Both of these pieces of work depict two or more alternate pathways that seem to have no end, and objects that begin as one thing, and seem to morph into something completely different from its original form. Stemming from these ideas, I began to look at images that could relate more to the inner workings and symbols of a city, because the story of If/Then is set in various locations around New York City. I then found images of large highway intersections and connecting lines, industrial fire escapes, and images of city skylines reflecting over water that I felt really showcased the motifs I identified.

The last important element for the design was choosing the colors. I loved the idea of using the violets, yellows, and oranges one sees in a sunrise, or sunset. I like to believe that this image makes people hopeful for the new day ahead, no matter what kind of uncertainties, or “what ifs?” a person has faced throughout the day. This is mainly in reference to one of the final songs in the show, “Am I Always Starting Over,sung by the main character, Elizabeth (Kennedy Young).”

What is something you want the audience to know about the set?

“The set has a lot of moving parts that are used to transition the audience into the several different locations throughout NYC. This production has a very modern and minimalistic approach with how the various settings are displayed because there are so many fast scene transitions. It is a very different feel from productions that the School of Theatre and Dance have done in the past. 

We follow two different lives that the character, Elizabeth, could have led depending on the choices she had made. Through the lighting design, costumes, and set, we have tried to make it as clear as possible which life the audience is seeing onstage without making it blatantly obvious. One life, her name is Liz, she has a more spontaneous, artistic personality; you will see more of the oranges and warmer tones pop out for Liz’s life. The other life, her name is Beth. Beth is more reserved, and methodical with her decisions; you will see cooler tones pop out when we are seeing Beth.”

What other jobs/opportunities do you have coming up? I think you’re going to be working on Bridge to Terabithia, can you talk about that a little?

Yes! I will be designing the upcoming Storybook touring production of Bridge to Terabithia, a play with music adapted from the award-winning children’s novel by Katherine Patterson, which will be performed at Wright Auditorium as part of the ECU Arts Family Fare series, and The Turnage Theatre in Washington, NC at the end of March (March 22nd and 23rd). 

I am also currently working on a design for Sonorous Road Theatre’s production of Emilie: La Marquise Du Chatelet Defends Her Life Tonight, which opens March 29th, located in Raleigh, NC. Written by playwright Lauren Gunderson, this period piece examines the life of one of the most important women in Science from 18th century France, her struggles to find the balance between love and philosophy, and proving her worth as female philosopher in an period that was dominated by men.”

Anything else you want people to know?

I just had the opportunity to attend the Unified Profession Theatre Auditions (UPTA) in Memphis, TN for the first time, where several students and alumni from ECU’s School of Theatre and Dance were able to audition, interview, and attend callbacks for over 70 different theatre and entertainment companies located around the nation! At the end of February, I will also be attending the South Eastern Theatre Conference with several other students and Alumni to interview with even more companies!

If you would like to check out any of my painting or design work, learn more about some of the awesome things going on, or stay updated with the latest things I’m working on, feel free to check out my website www.nicholasallenart.squarespace.com and follow me on Instagram @nick_lease!”