School of Theatre and Dance Commitments
- All students are expected to conduct themselves with honesty, integrity, and professionalism across their work in all areas, and as such are expected to follow the ECU Academic Integrity Policy throughout all school activities.
- Minimum Grade Requirements: Students must maintain a minimum grade of a C in all classes required of their major/concentration in order to remain in the program.
- Class Attendance Policy: Students missing a total of 20 percent or more of their classes in any course in the School of Theatre and Dance will automatically receive a grade of “F” in that course. Please note that this is the school minimum, and individual instructors may have more stringent requirements. It is your responsibility to learn and adhere to the attendance policies in all individual classes.
- Playhouse season productions (ECU/Loessin Playhouse and ECU Storybook Theatre) take priority over ALL other SoTD performance and extra-curricular projects, including but not limited to faculty-led, class-related, or student-run workshops, productions, performances, concerts, or events (including Night of Music Theatre, Random Acts, Directing Projects, Senior Choreography, Lights Up, Fifth Street Players’ productions, Undergraduate Creativity and Research Award projects, informal dance showings, and all other student group events).
- For Theatre Arts majors: Crew assignments for design and production classes and the Playhouse productions will not be set aside or re-scheduled for students who may be involved in additional projects.
- For a detailed guide to policies, expectations, academic requirements, performance opportunities, and additional information specific to your area of study, please refer to the following handbooks:
There are a multitude of organizations within the School of Theatre and Dance for students to become involved.
- East Carolina Dance Association (ECDA)
- Dance Science Club
- National Dance Education Organization Student Chapter (NDEO)
- National Honor Society for Dance Arts
- East Carolina Theatre Association (ECTA)
- Fifth Street Players
- SWISH Improv
- TYA Dramatist Guild
- Theatrical Production Club
- The Sankofa Collective
- The Shakespeare Guild (Formerly “Pirates Upon Avon”)
- Nights of the Roundtable
Learn more and apply through ECU’s scholarship portal, ECUAWard.
The following students are eligible to receive one complimentary ticket per season production:
- Cast and running crew members of the production
- Musicians involved in the production
- Theatre and dance work-study, self-help and undergraduate assistants
- Declared theatre and dance majors
To request a ticket, go to the McGinnis Theatre Box Office during business hours, Monday through Friday 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM no earlier than ONE week before opening night of a production. Note: complimentary tickets are not available at the door prior to the show.